Monday, June 1, 2009

8 more hours to go...

I came to work today, I stared at the monitor, and I tell myself...hmmm...
8 more hours to go.

Sigh.

Work is becoming increasingly boring nowadays.
Not that I don't like working in software; I do, but you know, 5 years into the job, after being had the same work tossed at your face again and again and again...I begin to think that I like something else too - change. I think a change should be in order. Is it not?

Well let's see if something else comes up. Let's see how many more stations this wagon stops before moving to another track.

I remember the good ol' days, just after college - I was as impatient as a Labrador waiting for its Frisbee throw, to get into work! Waiting to prove my mettle, waiting to impress the employers...toiling for 10-15 hrs daily, doing a weeks work in a days time! Aaaah, the nice memoirs. Well, that's passe now.

How did I become from that to this? Let's see...when did the interest in work start declining?
It all started when I received my first promotion. Peanuts. Well, at that time I didn't know they use freshers to do the donkey work. How was I to know? I was innocent, pure, and in love (err...with my work).

So I changed the job, moved, and got a new one, but with a little less enthusiasm as I had for the first job. The new job was in a startup. I thought, well, what good place to be in than a startup, I say! Head of the technical department, making all the big decisions, wallah!

Then the time for peanuts came again. And there were no peanuts. None. Not even peanut skins.

So I changed the job, moved, and got a new one, with little less enthusiasm as I had for the previous one. Well, guess what? This one was fun. Well, a little too much of fun. Sports, games, browsing, chatting with girls, blah blah bleh! Was the one job I enjoyed and had a lot of fun.

Then the time for peanuts came, again.

By now I was used to smaller peanuts...and in condition to be a regular contributor to sites like fmylife.com. And then there was the global slowdown of 2008. Buggers running the company got a good chance to impose their dogmas of company loyalty on its workers. Constant reminders, meetings, posters, this, that...about how bad the economic slowdown is, how you should not change your job, how you should not invest...blah blah bleh!

Anyways the work there was crap, and I was becoming lazy and rebellious, so I decided to move again.

So I changed the job, moved, and got a new one, with little less enthusiasm as I had for the previous one. That is where I am at. And that's how I ended up with the level of enthusiasm I started this blog with.

Seven hours and thirty minutes to go.

Sigh.

No comments: